Monday, March 12, 2007

La Brea Tar Pits

A few miles from Disneyland, in L.A. a smell permeates the streets. I guess in L.A., it could be a lot of different things (!) ( people from L.A., don't be mad, I'm quite sure you'd have thought of that lil' joke yourself). However the smell, this time, comes from large pools of tar ( goudron in french). The reason this is particularly interesting ( yes it is!), is because a lot of prehistoric animals and at least one human have been found. And many more are still being fished out. They have found hundreds of mammoths, saber tooth cats, dire wolves, condors, ancient camels etc... It is a small museum but extremely interesting and well made. They have a contraption where you can test how it feels to be stuck in tar. And let me tell you, no wonder everything got stuck in there.
My favorite part was the aptly named " fishbowl" which is the part of the lab where you can watch as the scientists are working. We were able to watch some sifting small particles for small bones, a guy was cleaning the tar of a giant sloth head and another one was piecing together pieces of turtle shells ( talk about a puzzle!).




The way back home lead us through Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive and then it was hill after hill and more cows and ... well, I think I've already mentioned that huh?




Funnily enough, the kids seemed to have as much fun at the museum as at Disneyland :)

2 comments:

Candy said...

I wondered... do you have any cow there in California, hm?!!
huhu ...
hehe

thank you for the museum visit, I loved it too! (at least the bits you talk about and the pictures!)

I think it is just perfect to take kids to such places like Disneyland and to this kind of museum! ... for Lola's 5th birthday, I've told her she will pay a visit to the devilish Mickey. I thought she would faint from pleasure! hehe

Laurienna said...

Candy Froggie,
Just a few cows, just a few :):)
I bet Lola is waiting verrry impatiently for her birthday now ;). And it seems everybody is going: next week it's my sister's turn with her husband and kids :):). I can't wait to hear all the stories!