Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Carmel and Big Sur

This protected coast of Nothern California is one of the most beautiful place on Earth I think. At any given time you can see dolphins, whales, seals, sea otters (my favorites!), pelicans, cormorans and seagulls. Did I mention the condors? There are a lot of tidepools with huge starfish and anemones, crabs and mmmmm weird looking sea life :).
It is a very rugged landscape and the ocean is dangerous, well, everywhere really, but be especially careful on the less popular beaches. In some cases it is not wise to climb the rocks. At my favorite beach in Big Sur you'd better know the tides well..if you are caught at high tide there is no way out.
It's also not exactly warm.
In fact Big Sur is downright chilly and very, very windy. All the time.
Carmel can be more forgiving with less wind and a bit more sun but the fog is still very present for a big part of the day. I know it doesn't sound so inviting but it is so beautiful and I've never been the type to sunbathe anyway ;)








3 comments:

Candy said...

wawww, the landscape here is ... (faint) : you just wanna be there and take a long breathe... :)

I LOVE otters, by the way :)

Laurienna said...

Candy Froggie:
Yes isn't it? It's very restful to be there...even though you're exhausted at the end of the day ;)
I can watch otters for hours :)

hiro said...

I like the scenery. The nature there looks rough but just wonderful. I would like to see the scene alone quietly. I think that could mend our sorrow...