Friday, December 07, 2007

:)

I know I said I'd do a post about the rewarding things but that's too funny and I'm afraid I'm going to forget so here it is ( actually it is one of rewarding things of the week anyway ):

This past week was the teacher/parents conference week. That's when every family meets the teacher who is at that time going to give you a report card and talk about the past trimester.

Mister T. and his parents are waiting for their turn at the door. They were actually on time. Nothing short of a miracle.
The teacher is late.
Huhuhuhu.
Laurienna thinks that well, being a supportive parent and all we need to have a discussion about the important event that's about to unfold.
Notice that at this time, we should already be in.
Mister T. shuffles.
He grunts.
Then in a very low voice says: " I don't think I'm any good at Algebra."
Parents looks at each other.
"Well, the grades we have seen seem to indicate that you are actually doing pretty well. Of course the last paper you showed us was, hum, 1 1/2 months ago....?"
Mister T. "No, I'm telling you, I make tons of mistakes it's terrible."
The parents are still utterly unconcerned. It might seem bizarre maybe but the thing you don't know is that this child has never, never, ever had less than a 3 ( maximum is 4) on a report card. And so far as we have seen ( and we pay attention more than it seems) this year seems to be the same.
Laurienna has the final word, something really intelligent, like : " we'll talk to the teacher about it."
And in we go.
We all settle down after warm greetings. This is the same teacher that mister T. had back in 3rd grade. And we love her.
After looking at mister T. with a fondness in her eyes she deploys the report cards.
4,4,4, 3+, 4,4,4. And in other disciplines things like, oh, "outstanding".
Parents and teacher are grinning.
Mister T. relaxes a notch but I can see that in spite of all 4s in all mathematical areas he is still concerned.
I tell the teacher about it.
She turns to mister T. astonished and says: " Thomas, you are the top student in the class. You cannot get a 4 in algebra at your age without being actually really good at it!"
Then a lengthy discussion follows on the whys and hows he thinks he is not good at it.
It turns out it's only really when he is doing his homework that he has difficulties and it frustrates him a lot.
How strange.
A few days pass.
One afternoon, Laurienna is doing laundry and enters the room of mister T.
He is doing his homework.
Algebra it turns out.
He is also watching a music video on You Tube. The sound level would rival the best clubs.
He is also talking ( screaming to be heard above the music) to his best buddy on the phone.

I gave him a few hints as to why he might be making mistakes on his algebra.
He vigorously denied that any of the above could possibly impair his mathematical thinking and that I was just trying to ruin all the fun in his life.

I said: " Darling, you ain't seen nothing yet".

3 comments:

hiro said...

It's totally the same way as my son's. :) I don't know how my son is dealing with lots of things at the same time. Sending e-mail to his friends with his cell phone, chatting with messenger with pc, playing with DS,listening to the music,,, in the small time during doing all the things, he is studying, at least he is trying.
sigh sigh sigh... but your son is really good at school,, that's great. Well my son was really lazy and his grade at school was really a joke!! grrrrr

Laurienna said...

Hiro:
He is good for now, but he is showing some tendency with laziness already...aaah, teenagers!
I was lazy too...I'm alright now though :)
And I remember studying with music...we didn't have all the other stuff, though ;)

Candy said...

hehe love your last sentence huh!

I don't know any teenager who's not lazy, it's like the sun is yellow and the moon's smiling. That's the way it is! :P
But I'm sure his mama will remind him there are times for laziness and times to make one's best to get other deserved moments of laziness (lol, not sure I'm clear now, I still have a few years to train for my devils!)