Sunday, January 07, 2007

Iron Chef " Waffles"

In the US, on the food channel, there is a japanese show called the Iron Chef that has had a huge success. 2 chefs are in competition: they have an hour or 2 to make as many dishes as possible with a secret ingredient that is revealed to them at the last minute. It's very entertaining and my kids love it! A few years ago, my son suggested that we do an iron chef competition of our own with waffles as the main ingredient. It has turned into a family tradition and we do it every year around the holidays. This year , with the kids growing up and knowing how to cook more, was particularly yummy :)

We use a pre-made waffle mix ( I know, I know, but it's the mornin' people ) and the object of the battle is to make the best topping for the waffles. Here are the results:

- Almond meal and lemon zest mixed in the dough, topped with almonds and powdered sugar.

-Chocolate chips, orange zest and hazelnut meal mixed in the dough, topped with maple syrup.

- Chocolate and mashed bananas mixed in the dough, topped with powdered sugar.

-Plain waffle dough topped with pears simmered in maple syrup with a cinnamon stick. This one, with no exageration, was heavenly. I swear there is no other word for it. Try it with waffles, crepes, on top of yogurt, anything...

Now, your turn, what is YOUR favorite waffle?

1 comment:

Laurienna said...

Oui, waffles are gauffres. My son's favorite!

I think I'll make a few more changes to the blog because I still don't like the color of the title..and it's still kind of boring :). So, when I have time ( Ha!) I'll work more on it ;). Thinking of spring, wishing for spring hehe