Saturday, February 17, 2007

Swarmed

Spring has arrived full force in the Sacramento valley. We don't really have a winter here. We have summer with temps in the 100 F. (37 C.) as the norm and staying above that for days at a time with no rain for months (June to end of October). And then it's just a looooong fall/spring being just a bit colder for a few days in January. And there is a downside: mosquitoes. Swarms after swarms of big mosquitoes everywhere. The soil is clay in most parts of the valley which means that puddles stay there for days making the little suckers very happy...and no amount of garlic repels them unfortunatly ;)




Everybody is covered in bites these days even if we are careful...even the dog has had enough. I'm thinking of getting a bat house this year...I'd take bats over mosquitoes any day!

3 comments:

Candy said...

a bat house! lol!

I knew it just could not be ONLY paradise overthere :P

Here we've 1 or 2 noisy mosquitoes in June or July maybe, and that's all! nananèreuuuuu!

I think, but I'm so tired I don' know anymore, that I've read you leave tomorrow for vacation! I wanted to send you a big hug just before!
We're off too, next week (well Martin comes back to work, while I take care of the kids + my nieces in Bretagne... see, real holidays, huh! grmpphhh! hehe)

Laurienna said...

No,no it's not paradise! However most of the time it does feel like it ;)
Yep, we are leaving tonight or tomorrow...mmmm Bretagne!! I'd love to go there again!! It doesn't sound very relaxing but mine isn't going to be either...I'll be back on Saturday, maybe in time to come wish you a good vacation?

Candy said...

hmmm no, because while you will be hugging Winnie, I will be on the road to Bretagne ;-) hehe