Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Made With Real Potatoes

6 pm, It's time for dinner. Get up from the desk, stretch and turn off the music. Piper does the same, she knows what comes next. Legolas trails us wagging its tail and yawning. Miss A. arrives and ask what's for dinner mama?
Let's go see...
She grabs a bowl and the kitchen scissors and off we go. The air is warm with just a hint of coolness, just so that we don't forget it's October.
We get into the vegetable garden...what looks good today? Tomatoes, eggplants, celery, oregano and thyme. Perfect! Add an onion, make the sauce and put it on the gnocchi I bought yesterday.
Back to the kitchen, everything is bubbling happily and it's smelling wonderful. Especially with Irish soda bread cooking in the oven. Even the dogs come and try to peak at the oven door.
I get the two packages of gnocchi from the cupboard and start opening them.

What's that in the front of the package?

"Made with real potatoes."

How funny.

What do they mean exactly?

I mean, it was not on the package I bought last week with another brand.

Does it mean the gnocchi from last week were not made with real potatoes?

Or does it mean that the gnocchi from tonight used to be made from not real potatoes and now they are?

Or does it mean that some potatoes are real and some are not?

Mutant potatoes?

Bleh.

What if it looks like a potato but it's not.

But if the other potatoes are not real potatoes then what are they?

Maybe I could google it.

No, I don't think I really want to know.

" Mama, I'm hungry."

....Fine, let's put the stuff in the water....

Was I feeling ok when I ate the other gnocchi last week? Shoot, I can't remember.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm SURE I was feeling queasy.

Oh god, maybe I poisoned my family with mutant potatoes.

Later, at dinner:

Mark: " You're not eating much, you are not hungry?"

Me: "Heh, not that much no. Could you give me some wine?"

Mark" "How is it?"

Me: " Fine, fine."

Me: "Do you think it's made with real grapes?"

Mark: " ????"

3 comments:

Candy said...

LOL!!!
there's something scary here, that's right!

I'm absolutely jealous of your vegetable garden... with miss A. being inspired to help you, the greedy pair (Legolas & Piper), etc. ... and what you're cooking... it looks purfect to me!

Jack said...

A HINT of coolness in October???? sheesh. The leaves are falling here and it's down to 3 deg C in the morning now. Where did I put me willy warmer?

Mutant potatoes. lol Very funny post.

I always wonder why they say you are listening to a band play live. As if otherwise? They're not dead are they? Yes, yes, I know the reason.

Laurienna said...

Candy Froggie:
I love these moments too and they do sound perfect isn't it? They feel that way and I'm happy I'm writing them down in the blog because they are also easy to forget during the moments that life is not perfect ;)

Jack:
Yes just a hint of coolness :):). Actually it is still warm during the day. Warm enough to be in shorts and tee shirts. But in the mornings and evenings you need a little something :)
3 degrees?? Dear god...I'm trying to picture that mmmmmmm....