Monday, October 09, 2006

Piper



Ladies and Gentleman, may I present you Piper aka Big Baby. She is 8 months old and we adopted her from a shelter when she was 13 weeks old. No, no you are not on the "Save the dogs" website where we'll get all teary eyed and mushy. However, I get a lot of questions about her and the fact that she is a rescue puppy. She is part labrador, part Mastiff. We didn't know what she was crossed with when we adopted her but we did know she would be big ( at 13 weeks her paws were as big as the palms of my hands ). She is the smartest and most gentle dog I have ever known ( and I've known quite a bit ). She was house trained in 3 days, stole food once and never did it again, hasn't destroyed anything in the house and is very easily trained to do pretty much anything. she has not shown any aggression. In fact, when on a few occasions suspicious people have shown up at the door or passed us on walks at night she simply but very effectively put herself between me and them. No growl, but a definit message was sent: you are not coming any closer. Any other people ( even strangers ) are greeted with a wagging tail and rolling tongue. Why am I saying all this? Christmas season is coming and a lot of people are buying pets as gifts. Every year my local newspaper is full of ads selling puppies and kittens for hundreds of dollars a piece. Please think twice. It might take a little longer to get that dream puppy or kitten that will be a good match for you but I can assure you, you will. There are thousands and thousands of animals in shelters waiting for somebody to love them. They might not be perfect ( Piper got her tail broken at birth so now it's crooked and it looks a little funny :)) but I can honestly tell you that when you'll meet them you won't care one bit.





If you live in the Sacramento area check this shelter where we adopted Piper:
http://www.cashelterfriends.org/cashelterfriends.html

2 comments:

Anniek said...

Wawwww....I'm signing up for the Piper Fan Club as well - she is soooo "kawaii"! She sounds like the perfect family-companion, which is simply wonderful and I can just feel she will bring something really special into your family.

When we got our pooch we decided we would allow the puppy to choose us. And he did! While all the other puppies were jumping around our legs and being like, well puppies, the one we chose was the one who came and went to sleep under my chair. He's just recently died but he was the most awesome dog, much more than just a "pet" - he was one of us.

Laurienna said...

Candy froggie:
Man, I'm sorry about your cat. And on new year's eve :( Will you get another cat? And Piper got her scruffles, thank you! ;)

Ms penny:
Welcome and thank you for stopping by! Piper is always delighted to get new fans! I'm sorry about you dog. They do become part of the family like Candy froggie said and it's so painful when they go. That's a really nice way to do it: let the puppy choose you. Maybe I'll do that for the 2nd dog I want. I just have to convince my husband that having a 2nd dog is a great idea :):)