Monday, September 24, 2007

And The Week-End is Over

Saturday was spent cleaning my office ( yes, still, I hear you) and a very nice surprise came with a phone call from a very good friend: " what about coffee?". Hey, you don't have to ask me twice! I came back a bit too late I'm afraid and the whole family was sleeping already. Well, my son was at a sleepover and he slept only 3 hours which is way worse than me ;).
Unfortunatly, I had forgotten completely that we were supposed to go to a museum the next morning.
Good thing it was actually really good. It was an exposition about Leonardo Da Vinci. Actually it was better than that: they had recreated his inventions and you could try them ( well, most of them). That must have been a cool job.
On top of that we met my friend from the night before with her 2 kids while we were standing in line and it was a total surprise. And it lead to some great cooperation trying to build one of Leonardo's clever bridges.






The only bad thing for the whole day was that the guy serving drinks at the cafe called me sweetheart. Yep. I don't think he is going to try that again on anybody after what I told him. I don't think sweetheart was what came to him looking at me when I was finished either.
The nerve.
Nobody calls me sweetheart.
The idiot kept grinning at me the whole time after that.
University students obviously have too much time on their hands.

And now it's Monday afternoon and my interview is almost over, just the pics need to be done.
However, I discovered that my mother in law more than probably stole pearls frome me. And these particular pearls are hard to find and they were reserved for a customer.

I'm wondering what to do about that.

I know, I'm moving to Mongolia.

5 comments:

Jack said...

Lol @ the sweatheart thing! A lot of workers here use that expression - it's like, 'alright, mate?'(male & female use it to - I've had it said to me millions of times! But maybe I AM a sweatheart eh?)

It's not meant to be taken as a sexist or condescending comment - but it is dieing out due to the pc enviroment.

Laurienna said...

Jack:
It's not used like that here and definitly not from a 20 year old man to an older woman ( sigh, that's me). It was accompanied by a slow up and down "checking you out" look and a wink. I look much younger than I actually am, and it's not the first time it happens :):)
You, on the other hand, am sure that you are a real sweetheart ;)

Jack said...

Laurienna, I'm shocked! Are you flirting with me? Hang on, no, damn, you're being sarcastic. hehe

Ahh I see. Well, good for you Mrs Robinson for putting him in his place! The more I read you, the more I like you. (Yes, I'm flirting, don't tell your hubby).

Once, working in retail, I asked: 'Can I help you, madam?' She snapped back at me: 'Don't call me Madam!'
Say Miss and you're being presumptive. Say Mrs and you may be insulting. Say Mizzz and you may be implying sexual orientation.

I'm still in therapy
Women!

Laurienna said...

Jack:
LOL! Well, I know it's hard to address women the right way. Yesterday was a perfect example: I was getting out of the bead store and a guy said "Hello, miss".
I get into the car muttering about being called miss and Mark who was waiting in the car said: "well, 3 months ago you were happy when someone called you miss because it was you birthday and you were feeling old "
I guess one of the lifelong goal of women is to make life as hard and confusing for men as possible ;)

Candy said...

I can't wait to hear about the interview!!!

there's this woman, boss of a restaurant near, calling us 'mes petits chéris". I love it, but there is some tenderness in that, no?

The exposition looked great!!! Lola would have loved it!