Sunday, September 02, 2007

School

I'll just say for starters that in the spirit of truthfulness ( is that an actual word?) I have always despised school. Just so you know.

Thursday was back to school night for the parents. I imagine that this highly awaited event is about the same in every country: you sit down in a chair that's too small for you for about 30-60 mns and you listen to the teacher tell you all the wonderful things they are going to do to with your child.
Now in the early years (kindergarten), with my daughter, we got lucky. Very lucky. She got Mrs M. And Mrs M. is very cool, very interesting, full of ideas and energy. She loves field trips and is always striving to make things as interesting as possible. And we got to have her for 2 years in a row because she moved up with her class for 1st grade. Heaven.
Unfortunately she couldn't go to the second grade after that so Miss A. got Mrs D. in 2nd grade. Mrs D. is slightly psychotic BUT again, full of energy ( in a manic kind of way ) and lots of different projects kept everybody mostly happy, if not completely sane.
Alas. Miss A. got promoted to 3rd grade in Mrs S. classroom. Mrs S. is the exact antithesis of the beloved Mrs M. . And I don't even think she is psychotic which might have made things a little more lively, maybe.
Nope.
Instead, she's got as much temperament as an oyster clinging to its rock.
She moves at the pace of a mutant sloth/elephant seal thingie.
She has been doing everything by the book for 30 years and by god she is going to it again this year. Sigh.
There isn't much you can do in these instances really except changing classrooms or schools. Since neither is likely ( the principal is of the same species as Mrs S. ) I've decided that we'll provide the numerous field trips and interesting material to miss A. instead. Which means, dear reader, that you'll have the joy of visiting California-in-the-days-of-the-pioneers with us. Aren't you thrilled? For example, tomorrow, we'll be in old Sacramento where they'll be reenacting a shoot out in the streets. I think it's got real potential as highly educational material, don't you think?
Oh, and they have a candy store there, that sells old fashioned candy, including my favorite: taffy. We'll make sure to tell Mrs S. about it. She might be hyperventilating at the thought though. I mean, we got out of the classroom and nobody died and we'll get candy when she is trying to teach all these kids to eat healthy. Maybe it would work better if she wasn't obese, I dunno.

Hey, maybe I'll get a picture of Miss A. eating taffy while watching the shoot out.

4 comments:

Candy said...

what an adorable picture here!!! Your angel deserves much MORE than the teacher she gets, how frustrating for her, for you! For her, well maybe not so much since I feel a family team behind her to make of her school year the most creative and adventurous one (in a kind of indiana jones way :P)

I can't tell yet about Lola's teacher... My first idea would be too rigid, but I feel I might be wrong...

Now who knows... maybe Ms S will suddenly show qualities you wouldn't have imagined! I really hope it's gonna be fine for Miss A anyway! :)

Laurienna said...

Yes I hope that teacher will have other qualities to make up for lack of enthusiasm. I hope Lola's teacher is not too rigid. Rigidity just kills just about anything in children, I feel.
Well, who knows maybe they'll both have a great year ;)

hiro said...

It always seems to be a big problem for children and parents. The influence of teachers is very great, especially when the children are small. My son's teachers were not so bad, I want to believe that.
BTW, I love taffies, too. :p

Anonymous said...

t's such a great site. fabulous, quite intriguing!!!

-------

[url=http://oponymozgowe.pl]Opony[/url]
[url=http://pozycjonowanie.lagata.pl]Pozycjonowanie[/url]

[url=http://oponymozgowe.pl]opony[/url]